Join us for an afternoon and learn how you can build your own solar generator. A solar generator is a very practical introduction to the concepts of solar power, a very small scale of a stand-alone PV system that can be scaled to any size required, from powering a single appliance to running an entire office complex.
You will learn...
* how these things work
* how to select the various components used in a solar generator
* where to find inexpensive parts
* how to size the array and battery bank to meet your specific needs
* how to determine just how much power you need to handle the tasks you envision (like running your gas-powered furnace)
* how to size, connect and place the wires that hook everything together
* how to test, troubleshoot and maintain your solar generator
As part of the class, you will be provided with detailed drawings, sizing charts, typical use sizing guidelines - basically everything you need to design and build your own generator.
This is a definite "hands-on" experience. In order that everyone gets ample change to participate, class size will be limited to 15 students.
Energy Conservation / Renewable Energy
Health, Safety and Welfare
Understand the design concepts involved in creating a stand-alone photovoltaic system, what components are involved and how they function independently and in combination with other components.
Understand how batteries work, various options and the advantages and disadvantages of each, and how to size a battery bank given the load powered and the time of operation for that load.
Comprehend wire size requirements for various circuits within a stand alone PV system. Learn how to select them based on ampacity for each circuit, and how to select overcurrent protection devices to protect the system from damage from too great a current running through the circuit.
Blue Rock Station, LLC