Registration is open to all that register, workshop fee is $95.00 for 8 classes, 20 hours of instruction
Smartscape is a comprehensive, research-based professional training program specifically designed to assist landscape professionals in the design, installation, and maintenance of attractive, water-efficient landscapes that offer a unique sense of place and value to communities. Smartscape delivers 20 hours of high-quality education on the best irrigation and horticultural practices for the desert southwest. For $95, students receive a Smartscape manual with valuable information and materials, instruction from experts in the green industry, the opportunity to get International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) continuing education units, and complimentary snacks and refreshments. Graduates of the course receive a certificate of completion from the University of Arizona and a chance to market themselves as a Smartscape professional by listing their contact information in the Smartscape Online Directory at www.smartscape.org/directory.
The sixth class in this series is titled "Maintaining Desert Adapted Plants". The course will instruct attendees on the proper care of these unique flora, include instruction on proper pruning techniques, applying fertilizer, and the proper marco- and micro-nutrient diets that these plants need.
Horticulture / Plants
Health, Safety and Welfare
1. Recognize and demonstrate the proper use and care of common pruning tools.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of proper pruning techniques in terms of why, when and how.
3. Demonstrate how to maintain the natural growth habits and appearance while pruning a tree or shrub.
4. Compare and contrast macro- and micronutrients and describe how plants respond to them.
5. Properly select fertilizers for specific situations and describe how to apply them in urban landscapes.