Registration is open to all that register, workshop fee is $95.00 for 8 classes, 20 hours of instruction
Smartscape is a comprehensive, research-based professional training program specifically designed to assist landscape professionals in the design, installation, and maintenance of attractive, water-efficient landscapes that offer a unique sense of place and value to communities. Smartscape delivers 20 hours of high-quality education on the best irrigation and horticultural practices for the desert southwest. For $95, students receive a Smartscape manual with valuable information and materials, instruction from experts in the green industry, the opportunity to earn continuing education units, and refreshments. Graduates of the course receive a certificate of completion from the University of Arizona and a chance to market themselves as a Smartscape professional by listing their contact information in the Smartscape Online Directory at www.smartscape.org/directory.
The seventh class in this series is titled "Solutions to Plant Problems" and will give attendees a basic How To when dealing with unexpected plant issues. The class will teach attendees how to investigate patterns and recognize signs and symptoms of plant problems. Attendees will also learn how to use the plant disease triangle to reduce plant diseases in the landscape.
Horticulture / Plants
Health, Safety and Welfare
1. Communicate effectively with clients to determine if a plant problem exists.
2. Distinguish between abiotic and biotic causes of plant problems.
3. Investigate patterns.
4. Recognize signs and symptoms
5. Use the plant disease triangle to reduce plant diseases in the landscape
6. Offer solutions to abiotic plant disorders, such as sunburn, irrigation stress and salt burn.
7. Offer solutions to biotic plant disorders, such as oleander leaf scorch, cotton root rot and root-knot nematodes.